Windows 11 KB5014697 is a major update to the operating system with some new features. This update includes support for Windows Spotlight and improvements to Windows Widgets and more. KB5014697 offline installers are also available for download from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
KB5014697 is a security update that is eventually automatically installed on devices where the update has been paused for a period of time. Sure, you can make changes to Windows settings and delay the update for a week or two, but it’s generally not a good idea to delay security updates.
This update is released as part of the Windows 11 June 2022 Update and comes with a number of new additions. For example, Microsoft is bringing Windows Spotlight to the desktop and it will be enabled by default on new systems, as the company wants to see if this configuration will be used over the existing personalization options.
Windows Spotlight has been around in Windows for a while and it is one of the best ways to personalize the look and feel of the operating system. Spotlight pulls wallpapers from Microsoft’s Bing and the same feature has now evolved to the desktop, and now the company is bringing the feature to everyone.
Microsoft wants to see how it can further polish the personalization experience on Windows 11, and you can expect more improvements to the Spotlight integration in the coming days. It’s also worth noting that Microsoft has enabled support for 4K wallpapers on the desktop.
Again, the Windows Spotlight feature is still in its infancy and isn’t perfect or appropriate for all users. Spotlight for desktop is a nice idea though, and it’s really something that can come in handy, especially as the number of users willing to try high-quality wallpapers is growing fast.
To enable this feature, open Settings > Personalization > Wallpaper > Personalize your wallpaper. Choose Windows Spotlight.
If you check for updates to Windows 11, you will see the following patch:
2022-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5014697)
Download Links for Windows 11 KB5014697
Windows 11 KB5014697 Direct Download Links: 64 bit†
You can open the link above and go directly to Microsoft’s update catalog. You can click the “download” button next to the version of Windows 11 that is compatible with your system.
Once done, click on the .msu link to start the download.
Windows 11 KB5014697 (Build 22000.739) major changelog
Windows 11 Build 22000.739 also ships with the following bug fixes and improvements:
- Microsoft is introducing a new Family Safety authentication experience for a child account.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue where the operating system cannot maintain the screen brightness mode after you change the display mode.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue affecting the IE mode window frame.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue where Internet shortcuts may not be updated.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where Input Method Editor (IME) would discard a character if you enter the character when IME is in use.
- Fixed a bug where Windows Widgets could disappear or appear on the wrong monitor when hovering over the Widgets icon.
- Microsoft is adding a new animation to the Widgets icon that appears when you click or tap the icon.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue that affects the display of the default Widgets icon.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue that causes blurry app icons in search results.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue where file copying is slower than normal.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue where the Windows search box entry is not in focus when you select the Start menu and start typing.