Windows 11 Build 25158 is now rolling out to testers in the Dev Channel and it comes with numerous improvements. For example, Microsoft is introducing support for notification badges for widgets. Likewise, the taskbar search icon is getting new styles, including search bar support, similar to the version we have on Windows 10.
Windows 11 Build 25158 is not tied to any particular feature update. However, it is believed to be a part of Windows 11 version 23H2, which will be released next year. In Build 25158 you can try out the new dynamic widgets board experience where the notifications appear directly on the taskbar.
As you can see in the screenshot below, you can click the notification badge to open the widget board. A new banner at the top of the board provides more information about what triggered the notification badge. Of course, you can disable the functionality or remove the widget icon from the taskbar.
What’s New in Windows 11 Build 25158
In addition to support for new dynamic widgets notification badges, Microsoft is also bringing the search bar back to the taskbar. Specifically, this functionality has not been confirmed for Windows 11 version 23H2, as it is part of the company’s new A/B testing system, where select users will be given access to the feature.
The search bar on the search bar will be updated with various visual treatments, but a restart is required to activate this experience.
Windows 11 Build 25158 also enables DNS over TLS – a new protocol in addition to DNS over HTTPS (DoH) already included in the operating system. DNS over TLS is not an easy-to-use feature, which means it requires advanced steps and can only be activated via the command line.
Microsoft recommends DNS over TLS only for advanced network users.
Similarly, Windows 11 Build 25158 includes support for the new spelling of the Nyala font Gurage from the Ethiopian Extended-B Unicode series.
List of other improvements in Windows 11 Build 25158†
- Microsoft has fixed an issue where testers may experience Blue Screen of Death errors with error code “KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED” in NetAdapterCx.sys.
- Microsoft fixed an issue that caused a black screen when resuming the device from a low power state.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue that affected performance in the Windows shell.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue where the Mica material and acrylic blur effect were rendered incorrectly in some areas.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue where closing the command bar flyouts could cause explorer.exe to crash.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue that could cause Explorer (explorer.exe) to crash.
- Microsoft fixed CTRL + F4 and it should work to close the current tab now.
- As of build 25158, a zipped folder opened in a new tab will not have an empty tab name.
Microsoft is aware of a number of known issues in Build 22158 for Windows 11. This includes an issue where games using Easy Anti-Cheat may crash or cause your PC to run an error checking.
Microsoft is aware of another bug where the up arrow is misaligned in File Explorer, but this will be fixed in a future release. The tech giant is also working on a solution to improve File Explorer’s startup experience when using dark mode.
Another bug has been confirmed where certain full-screen apps prevent live captions from showing.
How do I install Windows 11 Build 25158
Until install Windows 11 Build 25158Follow these steps:
- Sign up for Windows Insiders Program†
- Open the Settings page†
- Switch to the V Channel†
- Click on “Check for updates” and select “Download and install†
- Click on “Restart now†